Dr Patrick Doorley, Chairperson ASH Ireland has been elected to the Board of the European Network for Smoking and Tobacco Prevention (ENSP). Dr Doorley is a specialist in Public Health Medicine and a fellow of the Faculty of Public Health Medicine of Ireland.
ENSP is an international non-profit organisation whose mission is to develop a strategy for co-ordinated action among organisations active in tobacco control in Europe by sharing information and experience and through co-ordinated activities and joint projects. ENSP aims to create greater coherence among smoking prevention activities and to promote comprehensive tobacco control policies at both national and European levels.
ENSP’s top priority objectives are:
· to implement the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) in Europe by 2020, and
· to reduce the prevalence of tobacco use in Europe to less than 5% by 2040.
ENSP’s vision for the future is to eliminate health inequalities among European citizens and suffering caused by ill health and early death due to tobacco-related diseases.
To attain its purpose, ENSP undertakes to conduct the following activities;
· to focus in priority on co-ordination and consensus-building, education, prevention and cessation;
· to facilitate the creation and development of national and international alliances for smoking prevention and tobacco control in Europe, as well as support for their actions;
· to promote collaboration amongst member organisations and support their actions;
· to stimulate and participate in joint projects at national and international levels;
· to undertake the collection, distribution and exchange of information relevant for tobacco control to the members of the network, non-governmental organisations, intergovernmental organisations, national governments all over Europe and the institutions of the European Union;
· to sponsor, promote and organise education and training seminars, conferences, missions and exhibitions on matters relevant to smoking and tobacco prevention and cessation.
Ms Norma Cronin Board Member, ASH Ireland was previously a member of the Board of ENSP.